Senior Payroll Specialist Processing
Remote – United States
- Conducts all end-to-end payroll activities for over 10,000 employees across two companies, ensuring timely payroll processing and reconciliation.
- Responsible for compliance with all regulations governing payroll as defined by the Internal Revenue Service, the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Social Security Administration, state and local taxing jurisdictions, and any other government body with authority governing payroll.
- Partners with the Payroll leadership team to evaluate current processes and provides recommendations to promote efficiency in payroll operations.
- Analyzes, processes and monitors payroll and payroll-related transactions. Reviews data for accuracy and completeness and initiates corrections as needed.
- Audits the work of other Payroll Specialists to ensure accuracy.
- Performs gross-to-net calculations to audit and validate payroll data and output.
- Enters, reviews and validates special payment transactions such as Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP), equity transactions from Compensation and sales commissions from Finance.
- Ensures compliance and accurate, timely processing and administration of child support notices, creditor garnishments, and IRS/State tax levies.
- Ensures imports to Workday are reviewed, balanced, verified and applied correctly.
- Reconciles gross earnings between payroll systems.
- Reviews calculations and validates the entry of adjustments to employee earnings and tax records.
- Coordinates and participates in running payroll processes in Workday (e.g., first calculation, retro calculation, second calculations, close/settle) and ensures all reports on the Payroll Processing Checklist are completed timely and accurately.
- Enters and edits new and existing local/state taxes in Workday as well as changing State Unemployment Insurance rates.
- Understands Payroll Sarbanes-Oxley controls and ensures processes are being followed to maintain compliance.
- Reviews calculations for payments made to beneficiaries or estates of deceased employees. Understands and can explain taxability of such payments and how payments are reported on Form W-2 and Form 1099 in both year of and year after death
- Maintains current knowledge of Workday, Costpoint and Deltek and participates in testing of semi-annual upgrades.
- Assists in identifying problem trends and recommends potential solutions.
- Identifies training needs for employees and managers.
- Participates in projects as needed and assigned by management.
- United States of America (Non-Exempt)
License and Certifications – Preferred
- CPP – Certified Payroll Professional – Enterprise, FPC – Fundamental Payroll Certification – Enterprise
Other Job Requirements
- Minimum 2 years of payroll or accounting experience, 3-5 years preferred.
- Education: Some college level accounting courses preferred
- Experience: 3-5 years payroll or accounting experience
- Education: HS/GED
- Experience: 1-3yrs.
- Job Specific At least 2 yrs of payroll or accounting experience, 3-5 yrs preferred.
- Other: Ability to maintain confidentiality; Ability to work under pressure and adhere to tight deadlines; Detailed oriented and organized; Ability to communicate in a clear, effective and professional manner; Be a team player; General knowledge of PayrollComputer Skills: Ability to work with a PC and various software applications
Magellan Health Services is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Tobacco-free workplace. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled. Every employee must understand, comply and attest to the security responsibilities and security controls unique to their position.