Software Developer (Remote Position)
CourseArc is a high-growth SaaS company located in Maryland providing a collaborative content authoring and management tool for creating engaging, accessible online learning experiences.
We are seeking a part-time, motivated software developer with a background in the product development lifecycle in a startup environment. Strong backend development experience and skills required (front end development experience nice-to-have). This position has the potential to grow into a full-time position with product management and team lead responsibilities. This position is expected to uphold CourseArc’s mission and values.
- Develop back-end enhancements to CourseArc’s core product, a course authoring tool written in PHP
- Perform code reviews and provide feedback to other developers
- Act as the development team lead when necessary to support the CTO
- Upgrade application from PHP 5 to PHP 7
- Create SQL queries to assist with custom reporting needs for clients
- Investigate issues reported in support tickets
- Perform code deployments
- Complete updates to an internal Laravel application
- Perform stress tests of application, identify and fix bottlenecks
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent experience
- Strong experience in backend languages/skills: object-oriented PHP, SQL
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Expert understanding of LAMP stack
- Experience working in a command-line Unix environment
- Expert understanding of git and experience working with a team of developers
- Experience integrating with other third-party services using REST APIs
- Experience with Laravel a plus
- Experience with shell scripting a plus
- Experience with automated testing tools a plus
- U.S. citizenship required
Why Work for CourseArc?
CourseArc offers a fast-paced environment where you can see the impact your work makes daily. We provide opportunities for rapid growth and expansion with flexibility that isn’t typically found in the traditional corporate environment.
- Innovative and agile company environment with more opportunities and flexibility than traditional corporate companies
- Connections with colleagues through cooperative, close-knit teams
- Collaborative relationship with the executive team for technical decisions and the product development lifecycle
- Competitive compensation packages
- Remote work setting with a flexible schedule
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This position is contractual with an initial workload of approximately 20 hours per week. The goal is to ramp up to a full-time position (40 hours per week) by January 2021. Remote/Virtual position. No travel required.